First Kicks is a programme designed for children aged 5 and 6 years old.
The programme is part of what’s known as the Whole of Football Plan. The Whole of Football Plan is run in-house (at either Te Puru Park or Beachlands Domain) and encompasses children from the Clevedon Football Club. First Kicks is a programme designed for children aged 5 and 6 years old.
In 2018 we fielded 7 teams, with each team having 7-to-8 players. Further details for the 2019 season will be published as information comes to hand.
What is the Whole of Football Plan?
The Whole of Football Programme (WoFP) is a nationwide curriculum aimed at getting future footballers playing in an enjoyable environment. There is very little emphasis on competition, instead focusing on fun, lots of running around and game time. Training is playful technical training with three main areas of focus:
- Movement – just getting the kids running around
- Technique – Introducing the basic ball handling techniques
- Coordination – Improving hand, foot, eye coordination
What happens on the day?
- First Kicks is played on a Saturday morning
- At either Te Puru Park or Beachlands Domain
- Typically the season starts early-April
- First Kicks runs to a 1-hour programme
- The first 30 minutes are dedicated to the three activities of Movement, technique and coordination
- The second 30 minutes are two games small sided games
Your child will need:
- Shinpads are recommended
- BMAFC playing gear available from UltraFootball
- Sun cream is recommended especially during the early season
- A water bottle
- And a “let’s give it s try” attitude!
What about my 4-year-old child?
Typically we do not cater for children under 4 years old. This is because they are playing children up to 6 years old, as part of the First Kicks programme, and the difference in physicality is noticeable. We would hate for a young player to be discouraged from playing football because they cannot compete with children who are a few years older/bigger/stronger – we’ve seen this happen.